All visitors (except Indian, Bangladeshi and Maldivian citizens) to Bhutan require a visa. All visas are issued in collaboration by the Tourism Council and Department of Immigration. Visas are only issued to tourists booked with a local licensed tour operator like BTT or indirectly through a foreign agent who is partner with a local tour operator. Applications for tourist visas are submitted by the local tour operator. Visa clearance must be obtained before coming to Bhutan, there are no visa on arrivals. Visa clearance takes at least 10 to 14 days to process. Air tickets to Bhutan cannot be purchased without a visa clearance and a passport copy. At your point of entry the visa will be stamped in your passport upon presenting the visa approval letter sent to you by Bhutan Tours and Travels.
The Royal Government of Bhutan sets a Daily Minimum Tariff for packages to Bhutan. These tariffs are set in US dollars ($) and must be paid in USD or equivalent to it, prior to arrival in Bhutan.
The daily minimum tariff is applicable per tourist per night halt in Bhutan for tourists travelling in a group of 3 people or more are as follows:
• USD $200 per person per night for the months of January, February, June, July, August, and December.
• USD $250 per person per night for the months of March, April, May, September, October, and November.
Tourists travelling in a group of two people or less shall be subject to a surcharge, in addition to the daily minimum tariff. These are as follows;
• Single individual – US$ 40 per night
• Couple or 2 individuals – US$ 30 per person per night
- A one time fee of USD 40 is applicable for visa processing
- There shall be no charges other than visa fee of USD 40 for children below the age of 5 years. Other charges for accommodation and transport may be applicable
- Children between the ages of 5-12 years shall be given 50% discount on minimum daily package rate.
- Full time students below the age of 25 years, holding valid identity cards from their academic institutions, shall be given 25% discount on minimum daily package rate.
- The daily minimum tariff covers all your costs from accommodation in 3 star accommodation, all meals, all land transport and all tours are guided by a certified tour guide. It does not cover airfare, drinks and personal expenses.